HubPages

HubPages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Wonder of You

Have you ever noticed the way a child will become engrossed with something small...a rock, a snail, a leaf? Time can dissolve for them as they play and wonder about their world.

One of my favourite songs is Louis Armstrong's 'What a Wonderful World', and there have been many times in the last 7 years where I have felt deeply aware of the incongruity of loving that song and my lack of joy and wonder of the world around me.

This year I have rediscovered the power of a sense of wonder and it has taken me deeper than being a child studying a pebble. I have wondered about many things and that has had a powerful transformation in every area of my life:

Observation: My body refuses to go on the way it was....
Wonder: I wonder what happens if I sit with this and allow this process to take place? I wonder what my body is trying to tell me? I wonder what will happen if I listen to it?

Observation: My friend doesn't seem to listen to me...

Wonder: I wonder how I can communicate more effectively? I wonder what I am withholding from her and why? I wonder what she needs from me to feel safe to be open with me ?

Observation: I feel such grief....
Wonder: I wonder what happens if I allow myself feel this deeply? Will I survive it and I wonder what will happen if I do come through it instead of squashing it?

Observation: I don't have a career anymore....
Wonder: There is now so much space in my life, I wonder what will fill it if I let the process unfold organically? I wonder what I'd love to do with my time? I wonder what enraptures me and makes time dissolve?

Observation: I am alone....
Wonder:  I wonder if I am in someway committed to being alone? I wonder what else I am committed to? I wonder what would happen if I made a commitment to developing more close relationships? I wonder if I could commit to being married?

A sense of wonder can transform relationships...instead of defence and blame....we can wonder how we can facilitate deeper more fulfilled communication and intimacy. We can use wonder to take responsibility: I wonder what part I played in creating this situation? I wonder what I am withholding and why?

When I allowed myself to sit with being in a dark place, it was a sense of wonder that kept me company, instead of fighting I surrendered and it was a sense of wonder that brought me out of it. I started to dream about what I really wanted in my life and now I let those desires guide me. The wonder has brought me in touch with my spirit again and what gave me joy and wonder as a child now fulfils me as an adult.

This wonder has brought an innocence back to the way I see the world, a sense of childlike trust in what happens to me and a wonder at what I can learn from it. It's taught me to go with the flow of life, its ups and downs, its ugliness and its beauty.

It truly is a wonderful world.















5 comments:

  1. So beautiful. Once again. I love the way you look at the world. You are opening my eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel, glad you are getting something from my writing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post ... I too have been contemplating these things ... it's interesting that illness can waken the ability to become a more whole person ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this.... it shuts me up and gets me listening, it creates peace in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Louisa....glad you got something out of it.

    ReplyDelete